Pages

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Change of Season...

I’m going to be blunt…changing seasons is complete crap.  This just seems like a rough time of year for everyone, not to mention the weather goes completely bi-polar and simply cannot decide what it wants to be.  Hot? Sure.  Cold? Yes.  Humid? For a bit. Hurricane? Okey Dokey! 
What the Heck!?!  Just pick something.  Two weeks ago, during a rather long cold spell, I decided it was time to take my fall clothes out of storage and pack my summer clothes away.  Well the joke is on me because it took me the better part of an hour to find a tank top and shorts this morning because someone decided it should be 80 degrees today!
Aside from the weather there are also new and exciting allergies!  This has resulted in about half of the people I know getting sinus infections.  The other half of the people wake up with massive headaches and chronic fatigue due the fact that it’s dark until about 7:30am!  On top of that, people seem to be just a little bit bored and a little bit restless.  It’s as if we're stuck in this awkward, annoying in-between stage and have no idea what to do with ourselves.  There is a lot of “hurry up and wait” going on and it is unpleasant. 
“Oh hey life, you have the potential of being super fun again in a month or so.  I can see it and it looks great.  For now I guess I’m going to paint my toes again because I can’t think of anything better to do in the meantime!”
Out of all the season changes, I find summer to fall to be the hardest.  I remember being out on a boat this summer thinking “Man I don’t want it to be September because I have no idea what I am going to do with myself.” 
During the summer you are go, go, go all the time.  There are fun activities to do, trips to take, pools to swim in and friends to see.  While you’re in the throes of summer, you are having too much fun to even think about slowing down.  Even the summer blockbusters are more exciting!?!  (If you haven’t seen Thor, it’s now on redbox and I would rent it right away!)
But then September hits and life spits you out like an old tomato!   During the summer you couldn’t even remember the last time you stayed in for a movie night and now you’ve gone through every movie in your repertoire and still aren’t satisfied.  Maybe that’s why retailers start the holiday season earlier every year; they need something to get excited about.
I know that this restlessness shall pass and I am thankful for all the fun and exciting things I got to do this year.  It was amazing.  Things will once again be a rip roaring good time and the case of the blahs will be a distant memory.  I will work on enjoying the little things, like pumpkins and pumpkin flavored delectables that are eaten in moderation!
Perhaps when the weather gets over its identity crisis we will all feel a little bit better.  Good times will triumph once again…I just know it!

~E
PS Thanks to all the amazing Wisconsin sports teams.  I will be having a fun night of cheering loudly!   

2 comments:

  1. Nice job getting this in before the Packers game! :) I so know what you mean about the blahs and the weather. Nico and Paul both feel icky. Oh well, looking forward to getting out of this rut and prepared for our April cruise! WOOO HOOO! Your writing is beautiful and thoughtful and put a smile on my face thinking of you writing it. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The problem is where I live in CA we have 2 seasons. Summer and Fall. It is either Hot or Raining. Don't get me wrong I like summer but sometimes its nice when it cools down a bit.

    ReplyDelete