Pages

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Cleaning Out Your Closet...

Today, I am cleaning out my closet.  Basically, I went through piles and piles of old stuff and decided what I needed to keep, throw away, or donate.  When you first decide that the time has come to clean house, you anticipate the task to be relatively easy and pain free.  After all, how much shit can there possibly be?
The thing about cleaning closets is that once you get down to the nitty gritty, you realize that there is always way more junk than anticipated.  Before you know it you are knee deep in a mountain of rubble with little hope that you can make it out alive.  You take a long, cleansing breath and try to hold off the mini meltdown that is looming.  Next you decide to take it one box at a time.
There are always surprises when cleaning out your closet.  You find pictures of days gone by and wonder, “What ever happened to my friend?  I think I’m gonna call them.”  Deep down you know that this is highly unlikely but at least it brought the memory of happy times gone by.
Sometimes you find undesirables like that Tupperware you forgot about from Junior year which can now be passed off as your science experiment.  In my experience it is better to lose a container than risk contamination.
Lost items become found.  Old items become new again.   And things that were once of great sentimental value, you now find of no value at all.
After a considerable amount of blood, sweat and tears, you begin to see the progress.  The piles almost magically come together.  You have decided what things you want to keep in your life and what you want to clear out.  Some go to the dumpster, some go to charity and some remain in the closet awhile longer. 
The urban dictionary defines the act of ‘cleaning out one’s closet’ as “putting an end to the old way of living and starting a new life void of all the secrets and lies from the old life and filled with mental strength.”
Throughout life there are times when we need to take inventory of our selves, our thoughts, our emotions and our stuff.  My coach once told me that when your home is organized, your life is organized.  Although I am not always the neatest of people, i wholeheartedly agree.  
I have always believed that everything has its place.  I also believe that place is constantly changing.  Things that you once thought were irreplaceable now have no room in your new life.  It’s sad to see them go but you do it because you know that something better is coming.  Something that is going to fill that space better than you ever imagined it could. 
If you are feeling like it’s time for a change I suggest that you start by cleaning out your closet.  You should start new beginnings with a clean slate…or at least a neatly packed one!
Happy Cleaning!

~E

Loving the highly organized closet space...omg I can see the floor!!!

Hall Closet
Bedroom Closet

No comments:

Post a Comment