Pages

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Comments on Dating: Volume One...

I never thought I would say this but I wish I would have paid more attention in Soc 101: Introduction to Sociology.  Every day it seems I find people and their relationships more and more fascinating.  For example, as I am typing this there is a Dad helplessly trying to get his three year old daughter to stop driving into him with her Barbie Jeep across the street.  I never had a Barbie Jeep but I road in my friend Mary's convertible from time to time because my Dad felt it would be the same...it wasn't.
Anyway, for your amusement, today I want to talk about types.  Yes the who you date, who you like types.  Types are fantastically amusing to me, for whatever reason.  In fantasy land I go for the semi buff, tall, long blond haired dudes that are not gross (hard to find).  Did you know the most long haired blond dudes are either homeless and/or didn’t have time in their busy schedule do some much needed hygienic maintenance for the past 5 years?  Not saying this applies to all, it is just what I have observed.
I have said it before and I will say it again, if Clay Matthews comes a-knocking, I went voluntarily.  This also applies if the guy from Sons of Anarchy shows up (pre-haircut).  But I digress…
Have you ever realized that most people date the same person over and over with just slight variances in personality or name?  No one ever sees it in themselves but everybody does it on some level.  Similar personality, just different hair or face.  
I love when people try to tell you they are eclectic because if you look at their choices, this is very rarely the case.  And eclectic people like to pick other eclectic people thus making them the same.  Patterns make the world go round.
Interestingly enough you usually have a type until you meet the right person.  Through my years working one on one with people, rarely are significant others what you expected.  A person's gorgeous prince charming can often look like the guy from Swamp People.  Even if you haven’t seen the show I am sure that you can imagine!  He may look homeless and completely mismatched but he is a prince charming and this is pretty cool.
Some of my single friends and I were discussing this very topic and determined that aside from looks, emotionally damaged and/or unavailable (emotionally or otherwise) is also a type.  Throw in immature/unsettled and you have quite a party.  Say hi to the lackluster free spirit who doesn't like to be tied down when you leave. 
To bring us off this crazy train for a second... types or not, my personal opinion is that if you are real with yourself and try to make yourself the best person  you can possibly be, there will be someone to match you.  Until that happens, consider dating to be some fascinating anthropological study that you can muse about to all the people who read your blog.  Someone should really get on that!

Till next time… and I promise that will be soon.

~E 

1 comment:

  1. Just recently after a break up of over 3 years I have realized that I need someone who is more like me. I always date people who have some similar traits but are typically more opposite. Interesting blog....thinking about someone who matches me.

    ReplyDelete