Pages

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Oh the Stress...

Nothing stresses me out more than my car.  Our relationship is strained at best.  I know about as much about cars as the price of beans in China.  ‘Car Speak’ is like trying to decipher an alien language and after about thirty seconds of trying to follow it my brain completely shuts down and we have to start again.  When the car makes a funny noise, I turn up the radio.  When the paint gets scratched, I say the car’s just trying to build character and assert its independence.  When the mechanic says it needs fixing, I say "Whatever, here's my credit card.  You lost me at 'the problem is..."  (Disclaimer: I am aware that this is a horrible way to deal with automobiles.  No need to remind me.)   
Most likely it is a fear of the unknown that causes my automobile anxiety.  Today, amidst the newest car quandary, I decided to research stress relieving solutions.  To find some suggestions, I went where every self-respecting person goes for answers…Google.
Google Search: Stress Relief Solutions:
1.  Cry Yell or Talk your way through stress relief- In my experience yelling obscenities at the car makes me feel much better!
2.  Take a Bath- This is a very good idea and can be very relaxing.  However, it would mean I’d have to go clean the tub which would just negate the whole relaxation part.  (Note to self: invent a self-cleaning Jacuzzi if they don’t already have one)
3.  Journal/write a blog- It helps get all your thoughts onto the paper and out of your head. Journaling has always been very helpful for me.
4.  Read-Find a relaxing quiet place to read your favorite book, magazine, tabloid or blog!  When you’re done reading mine and are in the mood for some humor check out my friend Kennedy’s blog at kennedycullen.blogspot.com!
5.  Eat well-Meaning healthy stuff! Deep fried anything doesn’t count as healthy. 
6.  Get Sleep-Getting 7-9 hours of sleep every night is hard for a lot of people but it is very important. 
7.  Laughter-Just start cracking yourself up.  I do it all the time!  Laugh at your own jokes if nobody else will!
8.  Listen to Music-Grab a hairbrush, crank the stereo and belt out your favorite tune.  “Jessie is a friend; yeah I know he’s been a good friend of mine…”
9.  Get Away- Whether you run away to a tropical island for a few days or play an extra-long game of hide and seek (where you hide really well and your kids seek), getting away can be the best stress solution.
10.  Yoga-This is a wonderful form of relaxation but it takes practice.  You might fall or look ridiculous but once you get the moves down I hear its very relaxing.  I have not gotten the moves down yet so it’s still uncomfortable at best. 
11.  Reduce Caffeine intake- You mean that the shakes aren’t normal?  I’ve only had a few Diet Cokes and one or two cups of coffee!
12.  Don’t Procrastinate- I have no comments for this one.  I’ll think of some later.
13.  Delegate Responsibilities-USE your support systems.  They are there for a reason.  If you don’t have a support system, go find one.  There are plenty of people/resources willing to help. 
14.  Face it and Take care of it- Sometimes it can really be that simple.
So, now that I have procrastinated, written this blog post, listened to music and attempted to perfect downward facing dog, it is time be responsible and figure out how to fix my car.
Stress is all around us and it can be overwhelming.  It can take many forms and can come from many different sources.  Whether it originates from loved ones or loathed ones, from inanimate objects or inconsiderate actions, the stress relief solution is always the same: face the stressor and figure out how to take care of it.  Stress isn't good or healthy. Remember to put yourself first and de-stress. 

~E

No comments:

Post a Comment