Pages

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Out with the Old and In with the New...



Throughout our lives we are forced to say our goodbyes.  Some are fond farewells and see you laters, while others are bittersweet adieus.  You say goodbye to family, friends, loves, relationships, pets, cars, houses, money, possessions etc.  Goodbyes are as big a part of life as living. 
This week I had to say goodbye to my dear friend Bob, the 2003 Dell Inspiron Lap Top that has been by my side for eight years.  I can still recall the excitement and anticipation as I tore through the packaging and cast my eyes on his shiny, silver casing for the very first time.  He was magnificent!
During the early stages of our relationship we worked well together.  We faced very few issues and I showed him off every chance that I got!  Our first major fight was a few months into our relationship when Bob got very sick and subsequently deleted his entire hard drive.  (For anyone going through a similar situation please seek a second opinion before listening to ‘Joel’ from Dell Technical Support located somewhere around New Delhi.)
Throughout our college life together, we certainly had our ups and downs.  There were times when I wanted to throw Bob out a ten story window in frustration.  My only reservation was, of course, that he contained every picture, story, paper and song that I had taken, written, or downloaded over the past eight years. 
As he aged, Bob grew increasingly slow and our relationship became tense.  Love and admiration were replaced by frustration and bitterness.  Often when you get to the end of a relationship, you want to deny that you are there.  The rose colored glasses come on and you hold fast to the good times and ignore the bad.  After all, the thing that you trust and share your most intimate feeling with is still right in front of you.  Naturally you attempt to wait it out , hoping that one day things will go back to how they used to be.  But soon you realize that it is time to say goodbye.
The relationship between Bob and I had run its course and it wasn’t fair to either of us to keep things going.  Almost everything I ever wrote, papers, articles stories or this blog, has been written on Bob.  Even in the end I could always count on him to be there. He was old, worn down and could’ve crashed on me at any second, but I considered him a close friend.   He will be sorely missed.
In life, goodbyes are inevitable and change in constant.  When I took Esmeralda, my new 2011 maroon Asus, out of her packaging, it was bittersweet.  Sure she was shinier, faster and seemingly more dependable, but I knew nothing about her.  What’s her keyboard like and could I type just as fast on it? Would I be able to write as well with her? Will she be as trustworthy and dependable as Bob?
Goodbyes are very rarely easy and change is almost always scary but Esmeralda and I are off to a good start! I think it’s the beginning of a beautiful friendship…
~E
How do I say goodbye to what we had? * The good times that made us laugh* Outweigh the bad.
I thought we’d get to see forever* But forever’s gone away*It’s so hard to say goodbye to yesterday.
                                                                            ~Boyz II Men

No comments:

Post a Comment