Pages

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Funk...please enjoy!

The word funk is so fun to say and describes such a large plethora of things.   Funk is a snazzy genre of music.  Funkytown is a place.  It sounds like an exceedingly good time but no one will tell me where it is!  Funk is also used to describe an unpleasant smell.  For instance, “Wow, I’m seriously funky after that workout,” or “Dude, cleaned in a while?  Your place smells funkaaayyyy!”   My least favorite use of the word funk, however, is when it describes being in one! 
Being in a funk basically means you’re in a slightly depressed, mopey mood for some reason or another.  For the ladies, our little monthly guest has been known to bring a funk with her; how considerate!  It’s not like we have things to do, places to go, people to see, and sunshine to bring!  Ok ok…I know we can’t always blame Aunt Flo but she sure doesn’t help.
So how do you get out of a funk?  There are several ways to get out of the funkyness.  First, try something different.  Write, read, get a main/ pedi or go bungee jumping (that one is very helpful!)  If a change of scenery doesn’t do the trick then maybe you just need a day or two of watching Mark Wahlberg movies in your pajamas.  Go ahead, no one’s judging!  As long as you shower once in a while so the funkiness doesn’t begin to rub off, there shouldn't be an issue. 
The most important thing remember while in a funk is to keep control of your imagination.  When you’ve got the funky blues your overactive, irrational female imagination can take hold.  Watching old episodes of the Ghost Whisper and thinking, “What if I died on my wedding day in a car accident and start haunting my husband’s new girlfriend like her?  I probably would.  He’s my husband even if I’m dead…I don’t want to die.  What if I never get married?  Ugh I need some chocolate…”  is not helpful  when attempting to de-funk.
As you can see, an overactive imagination while in a funk can lead to internal crisis, relationship/friendship issues and general craziness.  Keep some perspective and listen to the inner voice that is trying to calm you! 
…And it is most important to remember that funks don’t last.  Eventually the proverbial smell goes away and the sun shines once again.
xoxo
~ E- A normal, slightly neurotic female getting out of a funk!

1 comment: