Pages

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Traditions...

Tradition.  Tradition.

This week, the week of St. Patrick’s Day, I have thought a lot about tradition.  Traditions are things that usually go unnoticed because it is what you have always done.  It never occurred to me, for example, that most people don’t eat Raw Beef and Onions during the holidays (its a Wisconsin thing).  Raw Beef and Onions are a holiday delicacy made by my father, his mother before him, and her mother before her.  It’s a Christmas tradition!  No need to question it…    

Being from a family who takes pride in their Irish heritage, there are several St Patty’s Day traditions that I have grown accustomed to.  Corned beef and cabbage, Rueben’s, and pint of Guinness are some favorites but my most beloved St. Patty’s tradition is Irish Soda Bread made by my Grandmother. 

While lounging around my apartment this St. Patrick’s Day I couldn’t help thinking that something was missing.  For the first time since leaving the nest I felt completely disconnected from my family, my home and my traditions.  After sulking for the better part of an hour I decided to get up, throw on a pair of shoes and go shopping…for ingredients.  If my Grandma couldn’t bring the tradition to me then gosh darn I was going to do it myself. 

As I carefully measured the sugar, flour, baking soda etc, I began to feel as though I had an audience.  A few months ago, in an ever so creative mood, I decided to construct a picture wall.  On this wall I hung pictures of all the important people in my life.  Right smack in the middle of the wall hangs a large 8x10 frame of my Grandma and Grandpa Callen.  My Grandparents loved St Patty's Day and as I continued to stir that bread batter, I could almost  feel them cheering me on.   

To anyone else a loaf of Irish Soda Bread might just be an annual treat.  For me it represents something much more.  Not only is it a reminder of love and happiness from the past but it has now become my tradition.  It is the first tradition I took from my grandmother and made my own.  Whether it be a recipe, a habit, or a behavior (good or bad), you are constantly taking and learning from your family.  As time passes, inevitably, it becomes your job to pay it forward for the next generation.  

Have you heard the saying, “Men grow up to be their fathers and women grow up to be their mothers?”  Hanging next to the picture of my grandparents, there is a picture of my great-great grandfather and his family.  This picture was taken over a hundred years ago when they first arrived in the US.  Interestingly enough, as I began to look closer the family resemblance became more apparent.  To me, one of the neatest things in the world is seeing bits and pieces of your ancestors within your self.

Little pieces of each person on my picture wall have helped create who I am.  As unique as everyone likes to think they are, in reality they are just a mosaic of their past, their traditions and their family.  

So if you want to know more about who you are, I would suggest taking a look back.  You'll be surprised to find that you have more in common than you might think.  

~E

...and my Irish Soda Bread came out perfect! Just like Grandma's.

No comments:

Post a Comment